Hello, Norberto Mercado here.
The awesome thing about affiliate marketing is that you do not have to spend one dime or one minute on product creation. You can simply locate and try out products and services that solve problems for your target audience and promote them.
You simply do all the leg work for your target audience to find the products and services that they need the most, and then tell them all about it, delivering it on a platter for them to buy and use. What could be more fun, or more satisfying?
But this is not to say it's no work at all. It is. In fact, if you're not taking it seriously as work then you're probably not making that much money, if any. If you just find a product and toss up an affiliate link, or a 125×125 box, or even a long top of the page banner add, you're just not going to make that many sales. You really are going to have to dig a lot deeper.
These tried and tested strategies are really simple, but so powerful that once you start putting them into practice you'll wonder why you didn't get it all along.
1. Blog with purpose — Every last blog post you create for your niche website needs to have a purpose. It is going to be to entertain, educate, engage or encourage. Plus, every last blog post needs to have a call to action. That call to action (CTA) might be “sign up for my list to learn more”, or it might be to “click here and buy now” or it might be to “download my eReport” or “join me on Facebook” but it better have a CTA that is obvious and direct in order for it to have any meaning whatsoever.
2. Build a mailing list — If you are not already collecting email addresses and information from the visitors to your online real estate you're making a huge mistake. You can use the mailing list to do more entertaining, educating, engaging, and encouraging for a longer period of time. Like blog posts, every message you send needs a purpose and a CTA to be effective.
3. Promote solutions — Do not promote random products, as we discussed earlier, you want to promote solutions that you've tried and tested to be effective and solve a problem that your target market has. When you focus on solutions, rather than products, your target market will clamor for more.
4. Use social media — In addition to your blog and mailing list it's a good idea to use social media creatively. Why not start a hangout on Google+ or a Facebook group that is just for people who are in your target audience? The more places you can be that your target market hangs out, the better.
5. Write product reviews — Every time you come across a new product or service that will solve a problem for your audience, it's a good idea to try it out, and write an honest review. Be sure that you're honest that you'll be earning money if they use your affiliate link, and also be honest about the product or service too. It's a good idea to go ahead and put up reviews for products you did not like and would not recommend too. That way you have a good balance.
6. Improve SEO — Search engine optimization is an important part of your website and / or blog because without good SEO no one will find you. Read all that you can about SEO so that you can utilize it for best results. Google webmaster tools will give you a lot of the information that you need.
7. Host a webinar — A really great way to tell your audience about a new product or service is to host a webinar. You can invite other people, even the creator of the product, to participate in the webinar which you will promote. It's a fun and wonderful way to get more mailing list sign ups, and often if you can get high participation the creators of the products will love you for it.
8. Track & Measure — Everything you do, every task you undertake needs to be studied, tracked and measured. If you're not setting goals, and then measuring your results against those goals you're just spitting in the wind. You can know what is working and not working by looking at the numbers.
9. Use Split Testing — You may have heard of A/B testing, or you may not have. We will talk more about this later, but it's always a good idea to test different forms of advertising and marketing to see what works best. Does advertisement A with the big headline work better than advertisement B with the big buy now buttons? How will you know if you don't conduct split testing?
These are all strategies that you can implement simply and easily once you know how. Tomorrow we'll talk about making the most out of ad placement, don't miss that very important blog post.